Monday, June 23, 2008

The Duties Of Parents

Last week when I was going through some boxes in my bedroom closet I came across a short little book that I bought several years ago called "The Duties Of Parents". I figured I would start reading through it as I don't remember anything about it. I came across some words that J.C. Ryle wrote that really stuck out and convicted my spirit. Mind you this was written in 1888 but seems as if it could have been written for today. This is what he wrote " We live in days when there is a mighty zeal for education in every quarter. We are told of new systems and new books for the young of every description. And still for all this, the vast majority of children are manifestly not trained in the way they should go, for when they grow up to man's estate, they do not walk with God."

I'm guilty! In my experience as a homeschooling parent I too have had much "zeal" for all the "new systems" & "new books" of every description for my children's homeschool education but have put "trained in the way they should go, so they would walk with God" to the wayside. As homeschoolers we are bombarded with a wide variety of educational products/methods for our children. This has gotten me to thinking....... God did not lead us to homeschooling so our children could have a better education or so they could be smarter than every other kid their age. He didn't lead us to homeschooling because we are some how more spiritually enlightened or more Godly than everyone else......or just because it's what everyone else is doing these days. No, it was so we as parents could train them up in the way they should go.........so they will walk with God! He led us to homeschooling.....I believe in His mercy. He knows how easily we& our children are prone to wander and be distracted by life in this world. What better way to train our children in the way they should go but under the protective "umbrella" of parental authority.

No comments: