Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Fun & Easy Homeschooling

Homeschooling can be a very expensive and time consuming endeavor. So I like to find ways to make it work very smoothly , efficiently, and inexpensively. Well this past year I found an inexpensive and fun way to teach history, through a great resource called " All Through the Ages". It is a history through literature guide. History is taught in chronological order, starting with Creation and ending with the Modern Era. For each era there is a suggested list of books to read under these grade levels : 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12. There is also a list of books for all ages, that can be read aloud. Under each grade level there are book titles for the following categories : overview of the era, specific events, historical fiction, literature, biographies, and culture. There are also book lists for geographical history ( by country), history of science & math, history of arts, as well as great books of civilization & Christian tradition.

This has been a great tool for us! We've read through books on the new world/ colonization and the colonial wars. My children so far have enjoyed the colonial war era best. My 7 yr old son has read books on Daniel Boone. My 12 old daughter as read the book Wilderness Wife, the biography of Rebecca Boone, (Daniel's wife). My 9 yr old daughter has read a historical fiction book called Hitty: Her First Hundred Years. My 14 yr old son has read a book called Bulletproof George Washington. These are all books we've found easily at the library.

When we were at the library last week my 7 yr old son found Season 2 of Daniel Boone on DVD. So every evening he excitedly asks to watch an episode. Even my two year old will ask "Daniel Boone?" All of the children seem to be enjoying it. What a fun way to learn!

Generally speaking , I have come to a place of peace about homeschooling, besides the occasional doubts. In my heart I've always been a more relaxed homeschooler, feeling in my element teaching my children by doing, seeing, reading good books, unit studies etc. At the same time I felt this pressure to be doing prepackaged curriculum to make sure they were on the ball academically. Don't get me wrong it's important to know math, reading, and writing but it doesn't have to be done to someone else's standards. Homeschooling can be fun, not dry and boring. You can be creative and come up with your own ideas and plans. I truly believe that God gives each homeschooling mother creative thinking when it comes to homeschooling. I believe it's the Lord's gentle leading. " He will feed his flock like a shepard. He will carry the lambs in his arms, holding them close to his heart. He will gently lead the mother sheep with their young." Isaiah 40: 11. I love this verse it's such a good reminder that we don't have to do it all on our own, there is a better way..... with the Lord's help.

1 comment:

prov31rj said...

I agree that homeschooling can be done many different ways and still be successful. For us, I have found that worktexts are probably the best fit.