Thursday, July 3, 2008

Contentment

My daughter seems to be feeling better this morning. She still feels feverish but not as warm as last night & she is her normal pleasant and happy self. I gave her a popcicle for breakfast just because it's cold.....that made her morning : ) I only had to give her the Tylenol once so unless she starts to feel as warm as she did last night I will only be giving her the Herbs for Kids. It's a rainy day here...perfect weather if you are not feeling well and need to rest. At least she won't be missing out on having fun outside : )

On another note I was reading a post over at Adundance of the Heart. She was asking about how to teach your children to be content and grateful. It made me think of something my 9 year old daughter wrote that I would like to share in a minute but first..................

In one of my previous posts I talked about how I lean more toward keeping my children in church services with me but don't follow it 100%. This is where I don't follow 100%....... Our church has a Wed. night Bible Club for children up to 6th grade. It has been a blessing & ministry to us. I do understand as parents it is our responsibility to teach our children about the Lord and the Bible but it is important to have a church that can help lead you in that area....walk along side you. Personally...... I need some help in that area and accountability of sorts.

The children are given a book of memory verses/Bible studies appropriate for their level. I really like this approach because it allows me to teach my children but gives me/my husband something to follow. We have to sign off on verses they have learned at home & then their Bible club teacher signs off on them. As they memorize verses and finish short Bible studies they are awarded points that they can use to "buy" things in a store that is held twice a year. I don't make my kids memorize verse after verse just so they can rack up points just to "get" things. I have them memorize just one verse a week, more if they want to or are able. My main concern is that they have an understanding of what they are memorizing.
One of the Bible studies that my 9 yr old daughter had to do was on contentment. She had memorized a few verses on it and had to write about what it meant to be content using these two verses and give examples of times she wasn't content and why when we are not content that it is a complaint towards God. She did it all herself without anyone's help. Here's what she wrote:

Philippians 4:11 says, "Not that I speak in respect of want for I have learned in whatsoever state I am to be therewith content." This verse teaches you whether you have much or little you should be content."
Timothy 6:8 says. " And having food and rainment let us be therewith content." This verse teaches you if you have enough food and clothes you should be content. The opposite of contentment is complaining and not being thankful with what God gives us. Once I wasn't being content with the clothes I had and the food I was going to eat for dinner. Another time I wished I had a robot to clean my room . ( I wish this myself at times : )
Being content would change the way I would think on Christmas and my birthday because I wouldn't want things as much. When your not content it's a complaint towards God. Being content is being thankful for what you have instead of complaining about it.

I'm amazed that this came from a 9 year old but it goes to show that the word of God is for every one, young and old alike. I'm thankful for this church ministry that supports us as parents. It really has helped me & my children.

3 comments:

Grace and peace to you... said...

I am so glad you are bringing this up and that you shared your daughter's sweet words. Wow... This really brings us back to the fact that the Lord works in our lives even if we don't follow someone's formula. We have to make decisions for our families in our particular circumstances and not hem ourselves into the box of how we think it is supposed to work or how someone tells us it should. Look at us, did we grow up the "right way"? I didn't but my heart searches for God, wants to know Him, love Him and be close to Him. I have a laundry list of mistakes that I have made along the way and I do regret them, but they have taught me that our loving Father God, through Jesus His only Son, loved me even when I was lost and wandering away from His ways. He does work it all for our good. Praise God! I think it's great what you've got your kiddos into and it sounds like you monitor it very closely and discuss it with them. You don't just drop them off and let others do all the work. You are very much a part of it all and God uses these others - He gifts them with the ability to teach our young ones and make things exciting for them.

homeskoolmommy said...

I just found your blog off of Bethany's. I really enjoyed reading, and was surprised to find that you wrote about contentment just days before I did! I just posted a blog titled "Contentment" this morning :) Anyway, you have a beautiful family! Blessings!

Luvs2BMommy said...

Great post and I was wowed by the wisdom shown by your sweet little lady.

I think is we sow the word, God will do the rest.

Many Blessings :)
Ace