Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Day Of Baking/Preserving

Today I've been busy canning some kosher dill pickles with the cucumbers from my garden. I will be posting pictures & directions of the process in the next few days. I also made yellow squash muffins with the squash from my garden. They taste yummy : )
Since I have to follow a gluten free diet ....I made then GF. I want to play around with them a little more to get them just right. It seems when converting a recipe to gluten free you need less fat. The texture was a little off but they were still good. Below is the NON gluten free recipe, as well as the gluten free version. I omitted the applesauce because I didn't have any. I added 1 tsp. of xanthan gum and used my homemade all purpose gluten free flour mix.

All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Mix

3 C brown rice flour
1 ~ 1/4 cup potato or corn starch
3/4 c. tapioca flour

Yellow Squash Muffins

about 3 small yellow squash
2 eggs
1/2 c. melted butter
1/2 c. applesauce
1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 c. honey)
3 cups all purpose flour or 3 cups gluten free flour mix (plus 1 tsp. xanthan gum if using GF flour)
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt

1. cut squash in small chunks
2. cook in a small amount of water for 20 min.
3. drain well & mash
4. Combine to squash (about 2 cups)~ eggs, butter & applesauce (omit A.S. if making it GF)
5. Combine dry ingrediants (xanthan gum too if making GF)
6. Add squash mix. to dry ingrediants ~ mix until moist
7. fill greased muffins tin 3/4 the way full. Bake @ 375 for 20 min. or until toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
8. While still warm dip the top of muffins into melted butter and then cinnamon sugar

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I need some of your motivation to can!

LucindaSarina said...

Hi! I saw a post you left on another blog saying that you were diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Kenneth Fine....I'm really interested in getting tested by his lab and was wondering if you wouldn't mind letting me know what you thought? You can e-mail me at lucindasarina@gmail.com Thanks so much!!!!