Wednesday, July 16, 2008

In My Dream Kitchen

When we moved to this house 2 1/2 years ago, we needed to buy a stove, because there was not one here. I was really wanting a flat top stove because it was kind of a pain keeping the burner pans clean on the stove I had at my former home. I thought a flat top stove would be wonderful. So we bought one. Now, I am thankful for my stove but let me tell you I don't think they are all they're crakced up to be. I think keeping the top clean is impossible....it was easier to buy new burner pans on my old stove if they got to yucky to clean.

Another thing about my stove that I'm not pleased about is..... the vent for the oven releases steam up near the top of the stove. Well all the steam from the oven has caused the paint to peel off the stove : (....a stove that is only 2 1/2 years old! I've never had a stove do that before. Over all I'm just disappointed with this stove....it just isn't a solid stove. Yes, it serves it's purpose but I honestly wonder how long it will.

What I would love in my dream kitchen is a sturdy & strong stove...something that's going to withstand some serious cooking. In my opinion something you can't get on the market today of course I'm sure there is something out there but way out of my price range. Since I love the old fashioned/ vintage/ country type look of a kitchen, I think a stove similar to this would be perfect for a country kitchen. Now I did look on one site and they were very expensive(completely restored) but of course in my dream kitchen money wouldn't matter : )

What do you think? What would you like to have most in your dream kitchen. If you do have your dream kitchen what is it that you like the most about it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that stove!!! If I were you, I think I'd start a little stash of savings from grocery money and save up for that thing! :)

My MIL did that for years and bought she and my FIL (in heaven with God) a pop-up camper for his retirement present. That story has stuck with me because it was something she patiently and quietly did out of her grocery allowance. :) Kind of neat.

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have a flat-top stove, too, and I didn't think I would like it, but I do. I don't have the problem with the venting steam peeling the paint, though.

Those cleaners that are made just for cleaning the stove tops DO NOT WORK! I use a scouring powder in a can called Bar Keepers Friend. It's in the cleaning aisle at the grocery next to Comet, Bon Ami, etc. I just sprinkle some water on the stove top, then sprinkle the BKF powder and scrub with a wet rag. Then wipe clean. Works great, no scratching!

~Terri

His Tender Mercies said...

Terri......Thanks for stopping by my blog & for the comment you left. I've wanted to try that new scrubbing brush thing for flat top stoves ...haven't yet though. I will look for Bar Keepers Friend.

Rebecca....I would love to have a stove like that! I did think about saving up for one. Maybe I could find one in good shape locally. Years back...I think things were made better. A stove like that was built like a tank.....they last & last & last. I was looking on dreamstove.com and stoves like that (restored) started at $3500 & went up to $15,000! That's a steep price.

claimthemountain said...

Oh I love that stove!!! I actually found a stove at a home show that I would deem sturdy and big enough to cover my cooking and baking needs (I forgot the brand name! But, it was nothing I had heard of before). Price tag: OVER $2,000!!!!

Needless, to say I am still cooking on my good ol' reliable stove! LOL

(btw...thanks for adding my blog to your read list!)

Earthly Jane said...

I fould you through your comments on Candy's blog! I've just read a bit of your blog but I like it so far.
What I would like in my dream kitchen: I huge hutch filled with various pieces of old china dishes, a breakfast nook and a island gas stove.
I'm off to look at your canning posts!

His Tender Mercies said...

Earthly Jane ~ Thanks for stopping by. I too can picture a big beautiful hutch filled with tea cups and such. I just love the feel of a country kitchen : )