Thursday, July 24, 2008

Summertime Projects & A Learning Experience

My kosher dill pickles that I canned did not turn out very good : ( I'm still not quite sure what the problem is, but the pickles are soooooooo salty. I spoke with my friend that gave me the recipe. She said that you shouldn't use iodized salt....which of course I did. Although she said the type of salt you use wouldn't affect the saltiness. She said if you don't keep the brine covered as it is boiling the water can evaporate & would leave you with a very salty brine. That could have been the problem , since I didn't cover it. Who knows? Maybe not all of the pickles turned out bad but I haven't tried every jar, since they are not all cured. This is disappointing to me but hey you live....you learn : )

I have so many projects I want to finish this summer but I don't know if I will be able to get it all done . I did finally get our room organized a little better and rearranged it. I really like it this way better. It seemed before when you walked in the room because the bed was right there the room appeared small, even though it's not. But now that the bed is on the other side of the room it opens up the whole room. The room would look perfect if I would just finish painting. I painted it in Nov. & ran out of paint & have yet to finish it. In our master bath my husband replaced the shower and built a wall & hung some drywall. So this rooms also needs to be painted. Same goes for my laundry room. I painted it a pretty yellow color but it needs a second coat. I also want to hang the sunflower border I bought for it months ago. I bought border for my daughters rooms and that needs to be hung as well as painted. TOO many projects & so little time or money : )

Tomorrow we are having friends over for a pool party. You know the pool water has been crytal clear and we've had no trouble maintaining it but now that we will be having our party tomorrow the water in cloudy : ( & I'm not sure what to do about it.....maybe shock it. It did rain very heavily here the past few days that maybe why it looks so cloudy.

We were busy today cleaning bathrooms, mopping and dusting, etc. for tommorrow's company. It's so nice to have older kids....they really help out & the work gets done faster. They cleaned their bathroom today & it looks & smells so clean : )

This evening I ran to the store to get some candy to put in Easter eggs for a pool game that my kids want to play with their friends. I hope everyone enjoys themselves.
Well that's it for today

3 comments:

prov31rj said...

I am so sorry the pickles didn't turn out as good as you had hoped.

Like you said, maybe other jars are better.

Have fun at your pool party.

Anonymous said...

The pool party sounds like fun! Can I come? ;)

Hope you and your family have a great weekend!

Rebecca

Mrs Amy said...

Hope you had a great pool party!!