Monday, July 21, 2008

Passionate Housewives, Gardening, Cooking & Laundry Soap

I just got done giving my 2 year old dd a bath, thought I would sit down and take a break before I made some more laundry soap. I'm not really into homemade cleaners . I like my heavy duty cleaners, with the exception of vinegar & water for mopping floors & wiping down appliances & counters. However, I do like the homemade laundry soap that can be found on Stephanie's blog under home skills. Probably 9 years ago I tried making my own for the first time. It was the recipe that used Felps Naptha (not sure that's spelled right) but I didn't like it very much.

Today the book I won from the contest Robin was having arrived. I'm so excited....I never win anything. It makes me wonder if God really wants me to read this book : ) The last time I was given a book (The Power Of a Praying Parent) God really used what I learned in that book in a very big and personal way! God is truly a living God. Thank you so much Robin for this book...I can't wait to read it.
I showed my girls today how to can pickles....they did such a good job. We canned 6 qts & 2 pints. After that we headed out to the garden and picked green beans & more squash : ) ....... came in an strung and washed the beans. We had enough for dinner this evening. Here's the recipe for how I made them:

1/2 # cooked bacon broken into pieces
minced dry onions or 1/4 cup fresh, diced and cooked in a small amount of bacon fat
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 brown sugar ( I used 1/4 cup of Rapadura sugar)
3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp salt
4 cups green beans

1. cook bacon in the oven until crispy
2. cover beans with water & simmer until tender & drain
3. Mix all the other ingredients
4. Add to beans & heat through

For those that might think so .......I don't have a green thumb. I just kind of wing this gardening thing. I follow a few basic rules & that's it. We till up the dirt in the spring, add some fertilizer & that's what ever we have on hand. We've used Miracle Grow, seaweed & fish emulsion, 10-10-10 fertilizer etc. After we put that down we till it in & let it set a few days or more before we plant any seeds or plants. My husband and son do all of the tilling with our rototiller. My husband uses the tiller for weeding in between the rows too. I've not weeded the garden once this year : ) We water it if we don't get enough rain but really rain is the best for it.....those plants just explode after a good rain. We will sprinkle fertilizer around the plants every few weeks if they look like they need it. That's about all there is to it. I don't use pesticides. Something did get to our cabbage plants , so we just don't have cabbage this year. So we are out a few dollars and no coleslaw. I guess it's good that we don't have to count on our garden for food....we do have grocery stores/ roadside stands if all else fails : )

I also made up a recipe today to use up some of my yellow squash & zucchini. We also had it with our dinner this evening.

I sliced the squash & zucchini and layered it in a 13x9 baking dish. Sprinkled it with pepper, garlic powder, & dried basil. I used the other half of my 1# of cooked bacon by adding it to the squash & zucchini. Poured spaghetti sauce over top & baked it until it was tender. I sprinkled it with grated Parmesan cheese & sliced provolone. Baked it until the cheese melted.

That was my day, not every little detail but close : ) I have to go make some laundry soap & take a shower .....haven't done that yet today ; 0 )

1 comment:

prov31rj said...

Oh, I have been wanting that book! I was going to get it at convention in May, when Vision Forum offered a good discount at their booth.

However, I totally forgot. Now I will need to wait a bit before I buy it. I am on Vision Forum's email list, so they should send me a good coupon before Christmas. Maybe I will buy it for myself for Christmas. :)