Wednesday, July 30, 2008

This & That

Another one of my children as come down with strep throat. Thankfully all I had to do yeaterday was call the doctor and she called in a prescription for my dear son. He's feeling a little better today.

I'm glad my husband didn't have to work all day & was able to be at home with the kids, because it was a busy run around town day for me. My daughter's birthday is next week , so I spent the day birthday shopping for her as well as getting the ingrediants needed for her cake & ice cream to go with the cake.

I love celebrating my kids' birthdays. We don't have big parties for them , it's usually just us & sometimes a grandparent or two. However, we do like to make the day special for them by giving them gifts, a special dinner of their choice...usually it's pizza and the cake & ice cream of their choice.

This year my daughter wants a brownie-peanut butter cake. The recipe calls for Betty Crocker Pour & Frost chocolate frosting. I don't really like the canned frosting but I also need to avoid it because of gluten, so that leaves me to make it from scratch. After looking on the internet & not really finding a recipe that fit the bill, I decided to look through my cookbooks. That's when I remembered my Betty Crocker cookbook. This is not just any cookbook it's an original 1950's cookbook given to me by husband's grandmother. I thought it was neat how about the time she gave this to me it was reprinted and published to look just like the original...with the same recipes. I figure I must have a real gem of a cookbook. Doesn't it look like it was a loved & well used cookbook? I'm thankful to say I found a recipe for the chocolate frosting for my daughter's cake.
Original 1950's cookbook
On another note.... I thought it was neat today to find a Bible verse in an unusual place. It was on the back of a can of cheez curls that I bought : ) I think that's neat when companies do that. This verse reminded me of the young woman's testimony at Sunday's baptisimal ...it was also fitting to some thoughts I had about some things yesterday.... " The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth." Psalm 145:18. If we call upon the Lord in truth with a sincere heart & pure motives......the Lord is near to us.

2 comments:

Mrs Amy said...

I LOVE old cook books, I have slowly been gathering a collection of them :)

Carrie said...

Oh MY!!! I have ALWAYS wanted one of those original copies!! That's really beautiful! Reading old cookbooks is a favorite hobby of mine!