Monday, August 11, 2008

Mondays & Mother Hubbard's Cupboard

Today is kind of a blah day. Probably because it's Monday. I always have a hard time getting motivated on Mondays, especially after this weekend, we had such a nice time. I've not done much of anything today, except spend to much time on the computer : )

This morning I looked in the freezer & cupboards to figure out what I was going to make for dinner tonight. Now that's sort of a fun challenge when your cupboards & freezer are bare : ) I did find 2 # of ground beef. I originally thought I would make homemade sloppy joes with some green beans from the garden as a side dish. When I went out to the garden to pick the beans ,much to my surprise, I discovered that I had several small heads of cabbage. It's surprise because most of this garden season, the plants looked wilted & dry and had tons of little holes in the leaves . I suppose all this rain we've had this past weekend brought them back to life. I'd totally given up on them....they didn't even exist to me. : )

So now my dinner plans changed.......I decided to make cabbage rolls instead. I followed a basic recipe I found online but used what I liked & what I had on hand. I sprinkled some Weber Gourmet Burger Seasoning on the ground beef, added 2/3 cups brown rice and 4 eggs. I put a little of the meat mixture (my girls helped)into the cup of the cabbage leaf, rolled it up and put it into a butter baking dish. I then sprinkled some more of the Weber seasoning on top of the rolls, poured a jar of Ragu traditional sauce mixed with some water over top & put it in the oven @ 350. It smells wonderful as it baking right now. I think I might go make some cornbread/muffins to go with it.

Have a good evening

2 comments:

Carrie said...

sounds delicious!!! I love coming up with pantry meals (well, when I feel creative that is!!) I haven't had cabbage rolls in ages! I bet they were really yummy!!

prov31rj said...

Cabbage rolls. That sounds delicious. I make something similar for my family using tomato soup, cabbage and rice.

Yep, I know about the bare cubbards and freezer.