Friday, August 8, 2008

My Daughter's Birthday Cake

Here's my Betty Crocker Bake n Fill Pans.
I made a Brownie Peanut Butter cake for my daughter's 10th birthday tomorrow. I 've not had good results making my own gluten free brownies or cake, so I buy this brownie mix for $2.98 a box at Super Walmart. It tastes just like regular brownies & this is actually cheap for a boxed gluten free mix. I've seen them anywhere from $4.00 on up to $6.00 a box.
I mixed two boxes & poured it into the dome pan as well as the regular cake pan. After it baked I let it cool for an hour in the pan, before I carefully removed it. I then filled the cavity of the dome shaped cake with a peanut butter filling which consists of ~ 8 oz cream cheese, 1 cup peanut butter, & 1/2 cup powdered sugar. I then layed the flat cake on the dome shaped cake to cover the peanut butter filled cavity. Here's the end results


Doesn't it look cute with the foal on the top? I found it for a few dollars at Tractor Supply. I just ran it through the dishwasher first. The frosting I made for this cake was a recipe from my original 1950's Betty Crocker cookbook. There's no reason to ever buy the canned frosting again when this is so easy to make & so good! Here's the recipe:

Glossy Chocolate Icing:

Melt:
4 TB shortening & 4 squares unsweetened chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave.

Beat in:

2 2/3 cups sifted powdered sugar. (My sifter doesn't work all that great...it just gets clogged up with the sugar. I just used a metal strainer with very small holes. I pour the sugar in the strainer and gently shake the sugar into a bowl)
1/4 tsp salt
6 TB milk
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla

Beat with electric mixer until smooth and glossy and thick enough to spread.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

That looks really delicious!! I love that walmart carries a few of the gluten free pantry products!! Thanks for sharing!!

prov31rj said...

What a pretty cake and it sounds delicious. :)

I hope your dd has a very happy birthday.

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty cake!!! :)

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Cute cake! I have that pan.

BTW...if you want a good gluten free chocolate cake recipe, e-mail me at jennriedy @ ptd . net

Fair warning though, it is not low cholesterol...it takes 8 eggs! :-)

Jenn