Thursday, August 21, 2008

Our Home School Year

I still have books to order for our coming school year, which we will start after Labor day, Lord willing. We decided to try out My Father's World unit study & here it is. I ordered this way back in May/June
This is My Father's World basic package for "Exploring Countries and Cultures"
I will be using this mainly with my 2nd grader, 4th grader, and 7th grader, although my 9th grader will be participating some. There is always something new to learn and even though he will be starting the 9th grade I'm sure there is something he will glean from this study.
This is the rest of what we will be doing...it does not include reading lists. I usually just let my children read books that they are interested in ,with my approval of course. My Father's World has an extensive reading list as well.
9th ~
Applications of Grammar Book 3
Streams of Civilization Vol. 1 (history)
All Through The Ages ~ Literature Guide to History
Saxon Algebra 1
Apologia Physical Science CD Rom version
God's World News (magazine subscription)
7th ~
Applications of Grammar , Book 1
Sequential Spelling
Saxon math 7/6
God's World News
All Through the Ages
4th
Intermediate Language Lessons
Sequential Spelling
Abeka Math
God's World News
All Through the Ages
2nd
Spelling By Sound and Structure (phonics review)
Abeka Math
Rod & Staff 2nd grade English
All Through the Ages
****All Through the Ages****
This is a great resource. You pick a time period & under each time period there is an extensive list of great books to read by grade levels.
2 1/2 yr old
I will be getting her some puzzles, crayons, paper, etc & keeping them in a small RubberMaid container (on top of the fridge) for school time only : )
I think that's about it...I don't think I forgot anything : )

5 comments:

Michele said...

The books you have chosen look so interesting! I am so afraid of doing unit studies because of all the additional things it seems you need to add in. Maybe one day I will get brave and give it a try :-)

His Tender Mercies said...

Michele ~ I use unit studies more as a guide. I pick and choose the activities that they suggest. I don't do all of them & I often come up with my own ideas as we go along. Even when I use just regular text books I find myself doing that....getting side tracked with my own teaching ideas : )

I agree it can be alot if you allow it to be. If I need something that I don't have on hand or didn't have the time, money, or energy to get, I just improvise : )
If you ever decide to do one, just relax and know that you don't have to do everything it says to do but do what appeals and works for your family.

prov31rj said...

Those books look so nice. I like the look of new homeschool curriculum.

I considered MFW for this year. My dd likes traditional worktexts , though.

I did Prairie Primer for a little bit in the past and we really liked it.

His Tender Mercies said...

We did Prairie Primer as well : ) From what I can tell so far, there seems to be less preparation time involved in MFW as compared to the Prarie Primer. All of the books (except for those for the children's personal reading) are supplied in the curriculum. So everything you need to teach is there. You just add the extra activities,....I won't do them all. In my opinion some of the activities really are not worth while. One of the main reasons I chose it is because over all it is saving time & money....to pay $250 for the majority of the curriculum for 3 children to use. It saves me from having to work seperately with 5 children.

Girly said...

We are doing many of the same things as you are in our homeschool. I love MFW :)

I have 2 weeks to get ready for the start of our school year and I am getting excited just thinking about it.