Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Resisting the Temptation to Sin

My husband and I have Bible study with another couple once a week. I'm excited about the study we are currently working on. It is about the temptation to sin. I thought I would try to briefly go over what we have learned about resisting the temptation to sin . I guess I never really thought about the many ways God has given us , to escape the temptation to sin.

1. The Holy Spirit ~ If we are born again believers in Christ we have the Holy Spirit as our helper. " But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh." Galations 5 :16 ~ Daily seek God's will for your life & let the Holy Spirit guide you.

2. Scripture ~ Jesus used Scripture to fight off Satan's temptations (Matthew 4).....we can do the same. Memorizing & quoting/praying Scripture that pertain to areas of sin that you struggle with is a great place to start. I certainly have areas I need to work on. I need to work on scripture memorization as well.

3. Prayer ~ When Jesus teaches us about prayer in Matthew 6: 5-15, He specifically says " And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil." We can ask Him to help us to resist sin.

4. A proper fear of God ~ Proverbs 16:6 "By lovingkindness and truth iniquity is atoned for, And by the fear of the Lord one keeps away from evil." A proper fear of God would look like this.... reverance for Him, fear of offending Him, and a fear of the consequences of your sin.

5. Run from Sin ~ Genisis 39:12 " She caught him by his garment, saying, "Lie with me!" And he left his garment in her hand and fled, and went outside." If you struggle with a certain sin & you can help it , don't put yourself in a position that would tempt you to commit that sin. Run from it.

6. A Christian Friend ~ Ecclesiastes 4: 9-10 " Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up." A Christian friend can pray for you and check on how you are doing spiritually & encourage.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Thank you for visiting my blog, but to answer a few of your questions,

No I dont write for Seasons at home,

I happen to let Teresa know that I was going to place a graphic on my blog letting others know I support this wonderful magazine, if you click on the link it takes you directly to her magazines website. All I did was use a recent issue of the Seasons At Home and link it back to her. I hope that helps in answering ya.

Nancy said...

God showed me some of these same things a few weeks ago when we had a School of Revival at church. I learned so much but just can't seem to get the computer time to post more lately. Thanks for reaffirming these truths for me.
Johnny is still in the hospital, but improved a bit again. he had caught a virus because his immune system so week now.
We are organizing a funraising dinner for their family now.

prov31rj said...

Sounds like a very good Bible study. Dh and I were just talking with dd about how our adversary, the devil goes about seeking whom he may devour.

Dd was learning about resisting the devil and he will flee.

Yes, the Lord has given us many avenues to avoid falling into sin.