Friday, September 26, 2008

Old Time Remedy

Thank you for your prayers.....I'm feeling better today. We are getting ready to start our school day. I've got a chicken simmering in a pot to make a stock for chicken soup , that we will be having for dinner tonight. Chicken soup was a part of my meal plan for the week, before I knew I would not be feeling well. I'm glad for that.

Homemade chicken soup really is one of those old time remedies that works when you are ill. "Chicken soup has a natural ingredient which feeds, repairs and calms the mucous lining in the small intestine. It heals the nerves , improves digestion, reduces allergies, relaxes and gives strength"........... according to the book" Ageless Remedies from Mother's Kitchen".

I have been making my own chicken soup for years now but put more of an emphasis on doing it since I first read Nourishing Traditions cookbook 7 years ago.

So here's how I make it.

1.Rinse one whole chicken (free range is best, but I usually can't afford it so I just use a regular ole store bought chicken)

2. Sprinkle chicken with salt & pepper, put in a big pot cover completely with cold water. Add a tablespoon or 2 of vinegar. Let stand for 3o min. to an hour. The vinegar pulls the calcium & other minerals out of the bones of the chicken...making the broth more nutritious. I don't always add the vinegar, depending on my mood, it sometimes seems to give the broth a different taste. Today I left the vinegar out. Next throw in an onion.

3. Bring to a boil and skim the foam that comes to the top.

4. Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 6 to 24 hours. The longer you simmer it the stronger and more flavorful the broth.

5. Remove chicken from broth & let cool. Strain the broth

6. Add chopped celery & carrots to broth....simmer until tender. Add some of the cooked chicken. If I'm not able to simmer the chicken very long I like to add a few Herb ox chicken bouillon cubes for flavor, otherwise I just add salt .

7. Add cooked pasta ..... Such as Tinkyada fettucine, Glutino Fusilli, or some cooked brown rice.

8. Sprinkle in a little dried or fresh parsley & enjoy.

3 comments:

prov31rj said...

I am sorry you haven't been feeling well. :(

Your homemade chicken soup really sounds delicious as well as easy. I always thought homemade soup was hard to make, but I am definitely going to give it a try soon.

It probably stretches the budget out as well.

Allison said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Im sure Ill be enjoying yours too :-D
God bless!
Allison

Hayley said...

Oh that sounds yummy, but I enjoy the simplicity of opening a can of Campbell's Chicken Soup, and warming it up on the stove. I just don't have the patience to make homemade soup.....though I would never turn down an invitation to have some!! ;)