Monday, September 1, 2008

Preparing

This entire weekend we've been busy preparing......preparing for winter, by splitting and stacking firewood. I'm glad to tell you that it's all done. We all worked together, each having a job to do. The kids worked especially hard. I'm so proud of them : ) I was jokin with my husband ...telling him that just him and I will have to do all this work by ourselves someday......when the kids are grown and have families of there own.

I also prepared over the weekend for the coming homeschool year. I ordered the rest of our books & started organizing what we already have. My dear sweet husband, after a little whining on my part ; ), hung up some wire shelving (that I forgot we had left over, from our previous home) in our hall coat closet. We now have a very organized place to keep homeschool stuff. I have found that half of the battle of keeping your homeschool day running smoothly is ORGANIZATION. Being able to find things when you need them.

This afternoon I went to Walmart and bought most of the school supplies we will be needing. Below are some before and after pictures of our homeschooling closet.
The closet before the shelves were hung

After the shelves were hung.

I bought these cute little crates for 97 cents. The kids have their own colored pencils, markers, etc. in those crates. This is some of the homeschooling stuff, not all of it.
My oldest child has the top shelve & it goes on down the line in order of age, my youngest having the bottom shelf. The drawers on the floor of the closet keep supplies that all of the children will be using as well as the core books for My Father's World Exploring Countries & Cultures.

You have no idea how glad I am to have this all organized, even though the rest of my house is a wreck right now : ) The walls could be falling down around this closet but at least were ready for school!!!! LOL!

8 comments:

Patricia said...

Hi there,
Love this organizing idea. I know what you mean - I just organized some shelves and homeschool baskets, as well as table activities for my little ones. I feel so much better.
I'm not offended at all by the way! Just want to keep names out of my blog. Your blog is fun to read! I enjoy your posts.
Sincerely,
Patricia :)

Mrs Amy said...

You did a great job organising!! I love that feeling of everything being ready :)

Nancy said...

That is a really good way to do it! Wish I had another closet!

Luvs2BMommy said...

Isn't it amazing what a little organizing makes! Some people don't understand, it is an investment that pays huge dividends. It isn't being anal retentive (though some people take it there :) it really pays off when your DH or the kids can find stuff easily and jump in when you are busy or out of comission (do Moms ever really get to be out of comission :) and on those days where you decide to do something spontaneous, boom stuff can be picked up and put away in minutes.

Thanks for your comment on my post on Sarah Palin. I agree! I don't know why, but as soon as my first Princess turned one people (other women!) were coming up to me with ads for jobs since I could "get back to work now". I looked at more than one in amazement and then started getting really annoyed (uh, excuse me, do I tell YOU you don't have enough to do).

I have simply said to these impolite offers of advice...I have three full time jobs and I do them well, I don't want any more and I CANNOT be replaced at my job.

Sorry so long. Nice to "meet" you, come visit anytime :)

Many Blessings :)
Ace

Carrie said...

I love being able to organize like that when we can!! I LOVE that closet of yours!!! You did a great job!

Milehimama said...

I like your closet idea! We move a lot, and one house I had a closet with a door for all of the "school" stuff. It was great!
This year we are blessed with an entire ROOM (a den with doors!) but we organize in the same way (I just use dishpans).

Thanks for your comment on my blog!

prov31rj said...

I love your homeschool closet. :)

It looks great. I had a lot of fun organizing and getting ready for our new homeschool year also. We just finished up week five and I need to do a bit or reorganizing. LOL

BTW, who says your children can't come and help work when they are grown? Cook a great dinner, invite the grown children, their spouses and the grandchildren over and let them work for their dinner. :)

Sounds like a great way to spend time with an extended family.

Have a good weekend.

E.M. said...

I really like your closet! It looks like ECC is going to be a blast! We are very excited about it. I used to have a set of drawers for all of our school supplies. One for each child, and then 3 for paper, puzzles, etc. But our realtor said it made the room look to small, so now we are homeschoolin' out of a box...LOL. Most days we can find what we are looking for! I look forward to moving soon and organizing all our gear! Thanks for posting on my blog! I will check back here to see how things are coming along with ECC.

Truly,
E.M.