Sunday, November 9, 2008

Life With Little Ones

This Little House .....I started to answer your question, but it seemed to be getting a little long winded , so I decided to just make it a post : ) This is only my opinion on scheduling small children, every family is different, and has to do what works best for them.

First off, I'm probably not the one to be asking about scheduling small children. LOL! I've never been good at it : ( I feel I have a little different parenting style then most. When I became a parent, I parented the way I did out of instinct(I guess) and survial LOL! I never knew my parenting style had a name but later found out it was called attachment parenting (I think that's what it's called). Although, I do know there are some extreme forms of it, that's not me; however, at least I don't think so.

Strict schedules are not my thing....I can't follow them. I do like having a routine/plan though.....that seems to make the most difference for me. Goodness, I can hardly remember what it was like having two small children. What I remember the most about them being that little was reading to them , making tents out of sheets in the living room, going to the park and for walks,blowing bubbles, going to storytime at the library, etc. I don't remember house work being too much of a struggle. I lived in an apartment....there wasn't a whole lot to clean :) Life seemed alot easier & slower paced then. I miss those times.

I understand the need to get things done and it does need to be done. Just put first things first & that maybe differnt for everyone. For me it's important to have meals planned, kitchen kept up with , so it's clean enough to be able to prepare those meals. I don't know about you , but if we don't eat right or skip meals, it affects us all in a negative way.

Another thing that I really think can mess up how our days go with little ones is the distraction of the TV, phone, and computer. I look back at when my two older children were small & things probably went smoother because I didn't talk on the phone much at all & I didn't have a computer. I kind of have a love hate relationship with the computer. Sometimes I just want to get rid of it althogether.

I would love to be of more help but I guess I can't. I just know when I look back at the time when my older children were younger, I don't remember much about the house work. If I do it's thoughts of regret. One time in particular that comes to mind, was when my daughter was a month old. It was the night before Thanksgiving & I made the mistake of taking the entire Thanksgiving preparations on my shoulders. It just happened that my usually very content baby cried & cried and wanted to be held, while I was trying to prepare things for the next day. I remember becoming frustrated with her and just having a bad attitude. I stayed up into the wee hours of the night finishing what needed to be done. Sure the meal was nice and the house was clean but all I remember was her little cries that I became so frustrated with & that makes me sad that I reacted that way.

Take life with little ones a little slower & just enjoy it.....before you know it they will be more independent and able to do things for themselves.

1 comment:

thislittlehouse said...

Thank you for this. I am going to print it out and stick it on my fridge! I like what you said about walks in the park and story time at the Library. That is what we do! :) I am taking to heart about how you said it speeds up from here and to take things slow and enjoy because it's gone in a flash. I needed that. Thank you. :) Hope you have a good day. I need to get off of this computer now. I am with you on the love/hate thing. But, you know that about me already.