Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Homemaking is Good

So many of my days feel so hectic and overwhelming with bickering children and emotional teens. Yesterday seemed to be heading down that familiar path . I could feel the stress and tension building in my body. I began to get so discouraged feeling like nothing I'm doing as a mom/wife is making a difference. Until I decided to get motivated (the Lord prompted me I believe) and get some things done. After I did some homeschooling with the kids I went straight to my bedroom and started to fold and put away a mountain of laundry that was overflowing out of the laudry basket spilling onto the floor. Next I took a few things out of the closet that I know longer needed, so that I could make it a little more organized and actually be able to shut the door : ) Then I picked up all the clutter on the floor,straightened my books on the floor next to my bed, made my bed & fluffed my pillows.

Then I went into our master bath, quickly went through my cabinets throwing away stuff that was not needed and organized it a little better. Then I wiped dwon the counter and sinks....threw all the trash away . Then I swept the floor. It really didn't take long to get these things done but it made a world of difference not only in appearance but in my heart as well.

Then I ran a nice warm bath for my marker covered 3 year old and cleaned her all up. Wrapped her up in her towel, baby powdered her up, and got her dressed in her fresh clean clothes. Then I started dinner...homemade mac n chesse and sweet peas.

To you it might sound like just an ordinary day as a SAHM mom but it was encouragement to me. There is something satisfying & peaceful about a clean bedroom. Even my husband comments on how he loves to climb under the covers after I have made the bed. I don't usually make my bed but I think I'm going to start. There is also something satisfying about a freshly bathed little child...their clean sweet smiley faces and freshly shampooed hair. These are the things that life is made of ....the ordinary days that might not seem all that special but mean more then we will ever know. I say that because I personally didn't have a mother that took care of me or our home. I never remember her doing ordinary things for me.....like giving me a bath or reading me a story. So truly what a blessing it is for me to do these things for my family and for them to receive it.

3 comments:

~Bren~ said...

I just shared with someone recently about how whether or not you clean your bedroom and keep it decluttered, bed made, dusted, etc, shows alot about what you think of yourself. Alot of women clean the entire house but not their bedroom....it is a private room and you can always close the door. When you take the extra time to keep your bed made and room cleaned up, you are showing yourself love. You did a wonderful thing for yourself (and hubby) by cleaning your room!
You are a very good mommy!

SimpleMommy said...

10 years ago, when I quit my job to be a housewife, that was the first promise I made to myself. That I would make my bed everyday. I have a SIL that *always* had her bed made. Every time I'd go to her house, even at 7 am, that bed was made & beautiful. I wanted that for me.
Now, my first job in the day is to pick up my room & make the bed. Even if I go to bed at night with a messy living room or dishes that need to be done, at least I have that comfort & solace.

Clean kids are always nice, too. :)

mrswifeandmom said...

I love what you've said here about the simple things we do making a difference in our hearts, home and families. That totally resinates with me. I love the day you described. It is so sweet and it sounds like you are savoring being a mommy and homemaker. I would love to see a homeschooling post from you, if you get the bug and feel so inclined. The thought just overwhelms me. My son is turning 4 in a few days and it sure seems like I am supposed to be doing something by now.

Oh, I started a blog over the weekend about my passion - diapers. Isn't that silly? I just had to vent it somewhere and throw my line out to see if there are other mom's crazy about something like that. Ha! You know me and blogging though. Here one day and gone the next. I am not very good or faithful about it but it seemed like fun putting it together. For now. I suppose it isn't one of the busier seasons and I am feeling pretty good and rested but that will all change soon and I will be overwhelmed again like I always get. Ha! Anyway, just wanted to tell you. I love your pretty blog and this great post!

Take care,

Rebecca