Thursday, April 9, 2009

Our Childrens' Goals and Dreams

This is something I think about often, now that my older children are in their teens. I often wonder and think about what it is that the Lord will have them do in the future. As a parent it is my job to help guide them in the direction the Lord would have them go. Sometimes I get frustrated/overwhelmed because I wonder how in the world we will financially be able to help them reach their goals/dreams. I especially consider what it is that my daughters will do. I'm not opposed to higher education for my girls, I just don't want to see them put so much money(student loans), time and effort into a "career" that will be wasted if/when God gives them a husband , children and a home to care for. I also wonder sometimes how I'll know if we are going in the right direction but as I am learning the Lord seems to be opening the doors and providing a way, even when it seems impossible to me.

From a very young age my daughter has loved to dance, so at 3 years of age I signed her up for a ballet class. As she got older the teacher told me that she could see that my daughter had a natural gift/ability for ballet. She became more involved in ballet, even became apart of a Christian ballet dance group. At about 10 she stopped taking ballet with her teacher of 7 years. There were several reasons for quiting but one main reason was money. She began taking ballet again with another teacher until that teacher retired in the fall. We weren't able to find an affordable or close by studio. I just figured that was it ...no more dancing. Well back in Feb. I ran into my daughter's first dance instructor. I told her my daughter hadn't been dancing because we hadn't been able to find a place for her. My last comment to her was" if the Lord wants her to dance he will provide a way." Honestly I hadn't really thought about that before. In the back of my mind I always thought that dance was just a fun thing for her to do and it wouldn't be apart of her future. Having run into her first teacher it made me remember how much my daughter learned and enjoyed dance. I began to pray a simple prayer "Lord if ballet is something you want her to do please provide a way for her to do it"
Within a week of that prayer I received a call from a dance instructor I had contacted back in the fall. She called me to let me know she would be starting a ballet worship class. I was thrilled because God provided that affordable and close by opportunity. My daughter has been taking this class for over a month now and enjoys it. Although I found myself getting discouraged because this class doesn't really cover all aspects of ballet , like dancing on pointe, which my daughter really has wanted to do (the Lord even provided a free brand new pair of pointe shoes for her). Instead of getting discouraged I just thought to myself the Lord provided this opportunity for her...this is what He wants for her and we/I will be content with that.

Out of the blue last week I received a phone call from my daughter's previous instructor, who had retired in the fall. She said she was going to start offering a few classes , including pointe, at her home. The cost .....$3 a class! That's pretty much nothing! I asked the teacher why she decided to do this . She said my daughter, as well as a few others that she saw had a lot of potential and she knew it would be hard for them to find another place to take classes....she wanted to give her the opportunity! Isn't God good!

I found out recently that this teacher had a student that she instructed for 10 years that went on to dance for a Christian ballet company. I don't know what God has planned for my daughter but I can't help but think he's preparing her for it now & that it involves ballet.

4 comments:

wifeandmom said...

Just wanted to wish you a Happy Easter and I hope the Good Friday service was a blessing to your family and your dad. :)

wifeandmom said...

I finally read this beautiful story. Last I checked in was just Easter wishes.

Wow what a great story of God's provision! A simple prayer being sent in faith had a miraculous response. Yes! God is good. Obviously He cares about your daughter's love for ballet. I think sometimes we think He only cares about certain things in our lives and it is hard to remember that He cares about all aspects.

I too think on higher education sometimes for my kids, especially the girls. Though one is only 2 and the other not even born yet, the thoughts come up.

Your post here is a great example of how He'll provide for their future's too. He makes a way, you know? He is an amazing and loving God - a good Father to all.

Saved Sinner said...

It's wonderful when you can look at something and really see God's hand in it. When I was in MS I saw Ballet Magnificat practising. Here in the UK a Christian ballet company is unheard of.

His Tender Mercies said...

That is the exact ballet company that this student went on to dance with.