Monday, May 25, 2009

Weekend

The past several days have been busy around here. We've just been getting ready for summer. You know despite the heat....I really love summer! I would say it's my favorite time of the year. There is so much to do and see throughout the season. Some of the things we've been doing to get ready for it are:

Friday I took my daughter to get a new bathing suit. It was tough finding something modest but after trying many on she found "the suit" at Kohl's. Saturday I did alot of running around...went shopping for our Memorial day picnic, bought veggie plants and seeds for our garden, planted the garden (my husband and kids helped). My husband also worked on getting our pool opened. It's filled and chemicals have been added....it's still looking cloudy though. I haven't been outside to look at it this morning yet, maybe the chemicals have kicked in.

Saturday night we went to the drive- in to see "Night at the Museum 2". It was okay...the first one was much better..it was still a fun time though and something different to do with the family. The drive-in shows 2 movies but we didn't stay for the second one. My 3 year old daughter was funny because she kept saying she wanted to go inside to watch the movie. I guess she just couldn't grasp the idea of watching TV outside : )

Yesterday after church I planted a few perennials that I bought...I hope they survive...besides a veggie garden...I just don't seem to do too well with plants : )

My husband started working on the chicken coop area....fencing the run area off. We still have to put some more ventilation in the garden shed (being converted to a coop) and make a little door for the chickens before we can put them out there. So for now they are still in a big box (that they are outgrowing fast) in our basement. I know nothing about chickens...just kind of jumped into it head first...asking questions to people that I know have them. I've been reading info on the internet and got a few books from the library. I have to admit reading these books and the abundance of info they have has left we a little overwhelmed. I was reading about how the eggs can get stuck in the hens vent and you will have to get it out. It involved sticking a finger in there and rubbing the hens stomach to work the egg out. Okay where's the hen's stomach and vent? Oh boy...do you see what I mean. Well, Rome wasn't built in a day.....I'm working on it and learning : )

Last night I made some bacon ranch potato salad to have today. It sure is yummy...I can't wait to eat it. We will also be having grilled burgers, hot dogs, watermelon and chips.

Well I'm going to get going. I hope you all have a great Memorial Day. Remember to pray for our troops and thank a veteran if you see one.

2 comments:

wifeandmom said...

This was such a fun and newsy post. It sounds like you had a very nice and busy weekend. I think your pool sounds wonderful... Right about now, floating in a pool is really appealing to me. Ha! I rememeber the story behind your pool and the pics you posted of it last summer. It's very nice! I love the drive-in idea. That sounds like so much fun. That is a great family outing idea. I really enjoyed the first Night of the Museum movie so I was thinking the second would be cute. Not as much though, huh? Oh well, I am sure it was just really fun for your kids to be all piled up in the car together as a family at a drive-in. Did you take popcorn?

I am sure learning about chickens has been interesting. I was reading up a little on them myself before I got pregnant and got overwhelmed with all the info fast. I am sooooo glad you are doing this before me! :) This way I can pick your brain when it is time for us to do this. I am going to wait another year I think and get baby here and get adjusted to that first. Helping a chicken get an egg out sounds...well...Hopefully you won't have to do that. I took my kids to our farmers co-op the other day to pay a fertilizer bill for our crops in back and they had a tub of baby chicks under a warmer. My kids were fascinated and wanted so bad to take some home. I promised them that one day, we probably would. :)

Well, I need to scoot. I have so much to do and no computer time left for the moment. I am hoping to read a few more things but I will have to wait till naptime or maybe even bedtime tonight. Busy, busy! Being pregnant sure does make me go a little slower. That is one of the things I just have to accept. :) Hope you have a great day!

His Tender Mercies said...

I think sometimes when it comes to trying anything new it's easy to get overwhelmed and over think everything. I'm remembering back to when I had my first child : ) I think about all the things I thought we needed or needed to do and then realized we really didn't need to.

I'm hoping it's the same with chickens LOL! Hopefully...food, water,sunshine and a clean, comfortable chicken coop will be enough.